Recipe Link :-
Tarla Dalal’s Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal’s YouTube Channel |
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram |
Like Facebook |
Get fab food images on Pinterest |
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App |
Get Tarla Dalal Android App |
Join Tarla Dalal’s Google Plus |
Think of Mexican and tacos are the first dish that come to mind. Making tacos involves a laborious process, which pushes many to go for the readymade options. However, anything made at home is always more tasty and satisfying, and Mexican Tacos are no exception to this rule. Crisp maize flour tortillas loaded with a tangy rajma topping, green tomato sauce, and of course, oodles of cheese, these tacos are a sumptuous snack your kids will love.
Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
Makes 8 to 10 servings (8 serving )
For The Crisp Tortillas
¾ cup maize flour (makai ka atta)
5 tbsp plain flour (maida)
½ tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Plain flour (maida) for rolling
Oil for deep-frying
For The Rajma Topping
¾ cup red rajma (kidney beans) , soaked for 8 hours and drained
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
½ cup finely chopped onions
½tsp garlic paste (lehsun)
1 cup fresh tomato pulp
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder
For The Green Sauce
1½ cups roughly chopped green tomatoes
½ cup roughly chopped onions
1 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
Salt to taste
1 tsp vinegar
For the Tomato-Chilli Sauce
¼ cup tomato ketchup
1 tbsp chilli sauce
7 ½ tbsp finely chopped spring onion greens
7 ½ tbsp grated processed cheese
For the crisp tortillas
1. Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead
into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
2. Divide the dough into 15 equal portions.
3. Roll a portion into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle using a little
plain flour for rolling and prick it evenly with a fork.
4. Heat the oil in a deep-non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few
tortillas at a time on a medium flame till they turn crisp and
golden brown in colour from all the sides.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper.
6 .Cool and store in an air-tight container.
For the rajma topping
1. Combine the rajma, 1½ cups of water and salt in a pressure
cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain
the water and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic
paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato pulp, tomato ketchup, chilli powder, cumin seeds
powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2
minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the cooked rajma with the water, mix well, mash it using a
potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, ,
while stirring occasionally.
6. Divide the topping into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
For the green sauce
1. Combine the green tomatoes, onions, green chillies, salt and ½
cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook
for 2 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a
smooth mixture. Strain with a strainer.
4. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the vinegar, mix well
and keep aside.
For the Tomato-chilli Sauce
Combine the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Place a crisp tortilla on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of
the rajma topping evenly over it.
2. Pour 2 tsp of green sauce, 1 tsp tomato-chilli sauce, ½ tbsp of
spring onion greens and finally ½ tbsp of cheese over it.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 14 more tacos.